Our Address if you are using a sat nav, or route planner is:
Scotchcoulthard Holiday Cottages
Some Sat Nav systems do not recognise our address and direct you over the fields. PLEASE USE OUR INSTRUCTIONS WHEN TURNING OFF THE MILITARY ROAD.
From Carlisle. i.e. Travelling East
1. Follow A69 for approximately 18 miles to downhill dual carriageway. Signs appear for Gilsland then Greenhead and Hadrians Wall. Take the sharp LH turn, signposted Greenhead and Hadrians Wall. Proceed across the causeway, about 1/2 miles, turn right at 'T' junction.
2. Follow this B6318 (Military) road for about 7 miles passing the 'Milecastle Inn' on the right hand corner of cross roads. DO NOT TAKE THE TURNING OPPOSITE THE MILECASTLE. 1st left after about ¼ mile signposted 'Cawburn' and 'Edges Green'. Then follow 'Local' directions below.
From Newcastle. i.e. Travelling West
1. If on the A69 continue to Bardon Mill which you will find with the Garage on the right and The Little Chef on the left. Continue up the hill and down the hill where you will see a speed camera on your left next to the junction for Melkridge. Take the right hand turning opposite. This winds all the way to The Military road. At the top turn left and then right straight away at the signpost for Edges Green and Cawburn. Then follow 'local' directions below.
2. If on A68 continue until you reach the junction for the A69. Take the left turning onto the A69, the 'Carlisle, Jedburgh, Roman Wall' route. Take the first left exit for Corbridge and Jedburgh. Turn right at the end of the slip road and up 'Stagshaw Bank' to the roundabout at the top. Turn left onto the Military Road. Then follow Instruction No. 3 below.
3. Follow the signs for Chollerford and Carlisle. At Chollerford, cross the Tyne bridge - one way with traffic lights. There is a roundabout immediately after the bridge - 'George Hotel' on the right. Take the first left exit at this roundabout. Continue straight on for about 13 miles, following signs for 'Greenhead'. Turn right for 'Cawburn' and 'Edges Green' approximately 1 mile after the 'Once Brewed' (National Parks Information Centre) and 'Twice Brewed' (Pub) have appeared on your left. Then follow instructions for 'Local'.
Scotchcoulthard is 4 miles along this turning signposted 'Cawburn' and 'Edges Green'. Key locations you will pass: farmhouse on your
right; next an old schoolhouse on your left, with a phone box opposite. Then, after another house straight ahead of you on a sharp right bend, you will come to Edges Green farm on your right and High
Edges Green (white farmhouse) on your left. Distance so far, approx 1¾, miles. Straight ahead, there is a 'No Through Road' sign and cattle grid. Ignore this sign and carry on over cattle grid,
Follow this road for a further 2 miles over two more cattle grids. At the second cattle grid you are on top of a rise, ahead on your right the forest has been cut down and there is a Forestry Commission sign with 'Scotchcoultard' on it. Travel down the dip, and up the rise - under a ¼ mile. The road bears right into the forest. Do not follow the road round to the right, but continue straight on along the narrow road. The driveway for Scotchcoulthard is about 100 yards on the left. (If you can see the top of a communications mast ahead, you have taken a wrong turning - turn round, right at 'T' junction and Scotchcoulthard is 100 yards on left.) Beware of sheep or cattle on the unfenced road, the rabbits who will try to race you or the owl sitting in the middle.
These routes assume use of A1/A68/M6 etc. If using the A1 and there are problems at the northern end, consider the A68, left just past Scotch Corner. An alternative scenic route through the middle exists via Barnard Castle, Middleton in Teesdale and Alston. After Alston, the road meets the new Haltwhistle by-pass. Turn right then follow the sign for Haltwhistle – left after about ½ a mile. Sort of ‘S’ in the road, turn right after 100 yards, then right again (telephone box on the corner). Continue up the hill until you come to a cross roads with the ‘Milecastle’ pub on your right hand side. This is the B6318 ‘Military’ road. Turn right, first left for ‘Edges Green’ and ‘Cawburn’, then follow the ‘Local’ directions as above.
Scotchcoulthard Farm & Self-Catering Holiday Cottages
Andrew and Susan Saunders
If you have any queries please contact us:
+44 1434 344470
Or use our contact form.
Click here for availability.
Click here for our Blog